This Oreo cookie ice cream is perfect to prepare days in advance. It’s tasty just as it is, but when you add meringues and homemade toffee sauce with a hint of chocolate, it really becomes a dessert. I use the egg whites that are left over after making the ice cream to bake the meringues in mixed sizes, but of course store bought works just as well.
Ice cream ingredients
4 dl Heavy cream
4 *Swedish organic egg yolks
1 dl castor sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla powder
1 packet of Oreo cookies (150 g)
Meringues for decoration
*Swedish eggs are salmonella free and okay to eat raw. Always check the guidelines for eating raw eggs where you live.
- Beat the eggs and yolks together with sugar until the mixture becomes pale yellow, thick and fluffy. This takes a few minutes.
- Then add the syrup and vanilla to the mixture and stir.
- Beat the heavy cream thick in a separate bowl until peaks occur, but be really careful not to over whip. You don’t want to end up with butter.
- Fold the cream with the ribboned egg mixture until well combined.
- Scrape off the filling from the cookies, then crush the biscuits (save some for decor) and add into to the ice cream batter.
- Place in cups and decorate with Meringues and small pieces of Oreos.
- Freeze for at least six hours or until frozen and take out to thaw 20-30 minutes before serving.
If you want to serve it in edible bowls instead then try the crust used in my maple mousse pie with pecans. Press the ”dough” into small springform cake pans instead of one large, then fill it with the ice cream batter and meringues. Place it in the freezer again and wait until it’s completely frozen before removing it from the pan and adding the toffee sauce that follows.
Toffee sauce ingredients
Make the toffee sauce just before serving, but give it time to cool down slightly before pouring it over the Ice cream. If you like salted caramel like I do, try adding 0.5-1 tsp of sea salt flakes.
1 dl heavy cream
0.5 dl light Muscovado sugar
1 tsp vanilla powder
0.5 dl golden syrup
1 tsp cocoa powder
0.5 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter
- Mix all ingredients except the butter in a pan and bring to boil.
- Stir continuously until thickened
- Add the butter and let it cool slightly before serving.
- Lastly, pour it over the Oreo cookie ice cream and enjoy!