This maple mousse pie with pecans is a real treat. Firstly imagine the crust with taste of chocolate, pecans and browned butter. Secondly we move on to a smooth and luscious maple mousse enveloped by the crust. Lastly picture the caramelized Pecans, that gives the perfect crunch to it. I think that it’s a really delicious pie (or cake) and there’s actually a pinch of salt added to it, which enhances the flavor and brings it to yet another dimension. But of course, if you’re not in to the whole sweet and salty mix, then you just exclude the salt or lower the amount.
1.5 packages of Oreo cookies (231 g)100g roasted pecans or almonds 150 g browned butter
- Begin by browning the butter until it’s beautifully browned and fragrant.
- Then continue and scrape off the white filling from the Oreo cookies.
- Mix the cookies with the nuts in a blender or food processor.
- Mix it with the butter so it forms a dough.
- Lastly press the mixture evenly into a springform pan and cool it in the freezer.
2 gelatine leaves4 dl heavy cream1.5 dl maple syrup1 tsp vanilla powder2 *Swedish organic egg yolks75 g melted butter0.5-1 tsp salt
*Swedish eggs are salmonella free and okay to eat raw. It’s important to check the guidelines for eating raw eggs where you live.
- Soak the gelatin leaves in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Whisk the whipping cream in a bowl.
- Mix maple syrup, vanilla powder and egg yolks. Pour in the melted butter a little at a time and whisk continuously so that it doesn’t curdle. Also add 0.5-1 tsp of salt (taste and select how much saltiness you want) and stir together.
- Add the gelatin in the warm mixture and stir until it’s completely melted and mixed.
- Blend it with the whipped cream by gently folding it together.
- Pour it into the Oreo pie crust and cool it in the freezer.
- If the cake is frozen, let it thaw in the fridge over the night. Preferably loosen it from the springform pan when it is still frozen. Lastly add the caramelized pecans as decoration. Recipe follows below.
2 tbsp maple syrup1 tbsp white granulated sugar100g pecan nuts
Begin preparing the pecans at least one hour before serving, according to the instructions that follow. You can of course double the amount if you want more Pecans.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Melt maple syrup and sugar completely in a saucepan and then add the pecans and mix until all the nuts are coated in maple caramel.
- Transfer the nuts to a baking dish lined with baking paper and spread out with some distance apart.
- Place it in the oven for about 15 minutes and mix around halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and separate nuts that are stuck together. Let it cool and set.
- Lastly decorate the cake with pecans and then serve.
This Maple mousse pie with pecans has a crust that’s much alike another super tasty cake. So if you like this one I highly recommend you to try the Caramel Chocolate Mousse Cake as well.